BCA, or Bachelor of Computer Application, is an extensive undergraduate course that contains modules on computer software and hardware systems for people who want to pursue a career in the software and IT Industry. A BCA course takes at least three years and spans over six semesters.
Keep reading this article to learn more about the BCA degree course and how to crack it.
What Does The BCA Course Offer?
The BCA course offers an all-encompassing curriculum that uses both classroom modules and practical or experiential learning modules. It teaches the students all the nitty-gritty of coding, app development, networking, cloud services, algorithm, computer architecture and hardware systems.
After completing the course, the student will thoroughly understand how to create computer programs to meet users’ needs using various coding languages such as C++, Python, and Java. With a solid academic background in computer applications, one may quickly get entry-level positions in IT firms as software engineers or developers.
What is the BCA Entrance Exam?
The BCA entrance exam is an admission test for students who have graduated from high school with science-oriented subjects.
This entrance exam takes place at both state and national levels led by several institutions at both public and private levels. The BCA entrance exam paper contains high school-level questions about Science and Computer aptitude. English is also one of the compulsory entrance exam subjects.
BCA Entrance Exam Syllabus
The BCA entrance exam syllabus mainly consists of subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Maths, and English. Here are a few of the integral chapters that are tested in such entrance exams:
- Physics – Kinematics, Laws of Motion, Optics, Thermodynamics, Atomic Structure, Communication Systems, etc.
- Maths – Profit and Loss, Algebra, Mathematical reasoning, Linear Programming, Probability, Statistics, etc.
- English – Basic grammar exercises including Prepositions, Verbs, Tenses, Adverbs, Idioms, and spotting English usage errors.
- Chemistry – Basics of Chemistry, Elements and Compounds, Stoichiometry and Chemical Equations.
BCA Entrance Exam Papers
Solving previous BCA entrance exam sample papers will help students understand the pattern and also help them prepare better for the tests. The best part is that these sample papers can be obtained in an open-sourced PDF version online and also as hard copies.
Generally, three types of sample papers are available according to the exam an aspirant is planning to appear for. These include the following:
BCA Entrance Exam Eligibility Requirements
The following are the usual eligibility rules for appearing in the BCA Entrance in India:
- Students applying for the Bachelor of Computer Application must have a scorecard from their high school examination or a comparable bachelor’s degree with Maths as their primary subject in the qualification test.
- To be eligible, the candidate must receive at least 50% marks. Some universities have raised the qualification threshold from 50% to 65%. There are relaxations for the reserved category applicants.
BCA Admission Process
A variety of BCA entrance tests are held for admission into BCA courses offered by various universities. The BCA admissions procedure is as follows:
- Entrance for Public Universities offering BCA: Most public institutions provide BCA Admission based on 10+2 scores. Furthermore, government institutions have stringent admittance rules, with 90% or higher academic cut-offs.
- Entrance for Private Institutions offering BCA: Entrance in BCA programmes in private universities is usually based on merit or entrance exams depending on the institution.
- Entrance for Deemed Institutions offering BCA: Deemed universities often have standard entrance exams for BCA. The entrance test results are used to determine acceptance and seat allocation.
- Pursuing BCA with Distance Learning courses: Most 10+2 grades are considered when applying to BCA Distance Learning courses.
BCA Application Process
The following is an overview of the usual application process for BCA programs at reputed Indian colleges:
Step 1: Register for the Course
Candidates must visit the college/official university’s webpage to sign up for any BCA course. Begin by filling out the registration form with your name, phone number, and email address.
Step 2: Complete the form
Following registration, applicants must complete the form with their individual and academic information, and pay the requisite fee.
Step 3: Upload the required documentation for verification.
Candidates must also upload a scanned image of documents such as their class 10 and 12 report cards, identity proofs, etc.
Step 4: Submit the form and save a copy for future use.
What is the Scope after Completing BCA?
There are many options for you to pursue after wrapping up your BCA degree. A few of these are listed below:
- Prepare for the CAT examination and pursue an MBA in an IT-related business domain.
- Consider obtaining a networking certification and preparing for CCNA accreditations.
- Collaborate as a network administrator, computer specialist, or technical support advisor while adding other certifications to your repertoire.
- You could also hone your teaching abilities by privately working as a computer teacher in schools and universities.
- You could also join a tech-rich organisation and start your career as a software developer or software engineer.
Few Guidelines for BCA aspirants
Particular guiding rules might help applicants simplify their quest for cracking the BCA entrance exam. The following are a few of the BCA exam requirements:
- Begin by compiling a list of BCA admission examinations and institutions that accept them.
- Check the qualifying requirements of each college since they may differ.
- Then, learn about the registration and admissions processes.
- Keep track of the applications and entrance costs as well.
- Furthermore, try enrolling in remote education programs such as MSW.
It is typical for organising bodies and institutions to ask their applicants to meet specific entrance standards. Applicants who seek to enrol in this course must keep in mind that each university has different qualifying standards that must be met to be accepted in the BCA programme.
In brief, the BCA course broadens candidates’ possibilities for future career opportunities that are associated with computer technologies. Besides, since the business world is moving toward digitisation, the demand for BCA graduates is growing. To know more about the opportunities and scope of the BCA degree, contact a mentor at Sunstone today.
Sunstone is a leading higher education services provider that works with academic institutions in upskilling students for employability. Sunstone offers career-oriented training interventions for undergraduate and postgraduate students at 40+ institutions across 30+ cities.
Sunstone’s training programs are industry-endorsed to enhance employability. These programs are designed for hybrid delivery with an unparalleled focus on soft skills and personality development. Sunstone’s focus is to provide students with a holistic educational experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are there any entrance exams for BCA?
While most colleges accept graduation marks as the cut-off for admission into a BCA programme, a few national colleges also accept entrance exam scores from KIITEE, IPU CET and SUAT, to name a few.
- Is CET necessary for BCA?
No, taking the CET exam is not necessary to pursue a BCA degree. Many institutions accept graduation scores and other entrance exam performances as well.
- Does BCA require JEE?
No, BCA is an undergraduate program in computer applications and doesn’t require the aspirant to have cleared the JEE.